Friday, July 5, 2013

The Wonderful World of IKEA

Now IKEA wouldn't be the first place that I would have thought to have brought my dogs for a training day.. heck I don't think I would have ever thought of it! I follow a fellow puppy raiser/friend and she blogged about her trip to Ikea with her pup. My first thought was.. I have to take Spunky there! My mom and I picked a day that we could go.. and we headed there in the morning.


When we got to the store.. we headed inside and rode up the big elevator. As we were walking through the displays, I saw many different opportunities for practicing the commands "up" "down" "under" and "heel". We also worked on not forging. My mom's service dog, Felice, had fun shutting all the drawers as my mom opened them. 



Walking through Ikea is like a huge maze.. there are many twists and turns and lots of people. It is a great way to keep your dogs attention in a huge busy store and get them to do their commands with many people looking at them. 
Practicing the "here" command




When you come to the end of the display floor they have a mini restaurant that you can eat at.. so my mom and I stopped there to grab a bite to eat. The dogs got a chance to nap after practicing and working on our commands. After lunch we went to the downstairs part which is where you pick up the items  you would like to buy, then then we headed out.



It was a very eventful day.. and a great training trip. When we got home everyone was ready for a nap.. and we all took one. Spunky is still sleeping off the days activities.

1 comment:

  1. YAAAY!!! What a great outing! Love the photos. We will be doing more trips to Ikea this winter when the weather is Brrr and Yuck outside. =)

    ReplyDelete